Friday, April 1, 2011

Are you a Belieber?

  Do you ever look upon your generation and think "When I look back onto my generation, and other people look back, I do not want this or that representing it."? I know for that I do. And recently it has been happening alot. For example. Justin Bieber. Sorry if you are reading this and you have "Bieber Fever" but I am not a huge fan of him. I'm not going to diss him completely because I do enjoy some of his songs and it's nice to see someone make it big from a small town in Canada. But he is not the type of person I want defining my generation. When I look back on other generations such as my parents and grandparents I see amazing artists such as Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, etc.. But when I look at who is famous and mainstream in my generation I see Justin Bieber, Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, etc... I'm sorry if I am offending anyone by saying that I am not a huge fan of these artists. But I'm telling the truth. Now I'm not saying I have never listened to one of their songs, or sing along when they come on the radio, because that is not true. I do that all the time. But I am not a fan of their work. In my opinion these people are not what music is. These people are just what mainstream is. They are what the music industry wants to make large amounts of money for them. The music industry nowadays is no longer interested in talent, no, they are only interested in making money. Today they can make anyone sound good, what with all the new equipment that changes your voice such as autotune and what not. I bet the music industry could even make me sound good, but it doesn't mean I have actual talent. And then once these so-called "talented people" have to perform live their true voice show through and you realize how much they suck. Yet for some reason they are still able to sell millions of tickets for people to come and watch them sing horribly.
  I'm not going to say that my generation lacks actual talent, because I feel there is some promising artisits that exist, they just haven't been either discovered or made famous yet. Artists such as Mumford and Sons, Hedley, Tyler Ward, Boyce Avenue, Freelance Whales, Noah and the Whale, Brad Paisly, Toby Keith, and the list goes on. Some of these artisits you may recognize and some of them you may just ask yourself "Who the heck are these people?" These people, and many more like them have talent, I feel. They have a true voice that was made for singing, and they do not become eaten up by the music industry and allow them to change their style or make them into something they're not. Although, at many times, I hope majority of these artists will not become what we describe as "mainstream" music, because I do not want them to be ruined and just become another one of the music industries 'new toy'. They still have a special quality about them, they are hidden gems, pure, untouched by the music industry's tainted hand. And I personally would love it if they stay that way.
  Nowadays new artisits are popping up left, right, and center. No one hears about them prior to their new found stardom, and they only sing 'Number One' songs. If you look them up you rarely see any 'old' or 'original' stuff from that artist. But throunh all of these new artists coming about, how many of them actually have a pure, God-given talent? If you are to actually answer that question your answer would probably be "very little, or none at all".
  As I leave this post to sit and wait to be read I want you to ask yourself this questions. Who do you want representing your generation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7bHe--mp1g

No comments:

Post a Comment