Friday, March 25, 2011

Laughter: The best medicine

What is it about a baby's laughter? Seriously. Whenever a baby laughs or smiles you can't help but laugh and smile to. There is this one video on YouTube which has become viral in a matter of days. The video is of a 8-moth-old-boy who is hysterically laughing over his father ripping up paper. Paper. I mean what could be more simple? Yet to this baby his father ripping up paper is as funny as Dane Cook. As I watch this adorable child I cannot help but laugh hysterically along with him. It really makes you think about how it is the little things in life and the here-and-now-moments that are truly specal. Nowadays we are so busy with everything and are surronded by our gadgets that we rarely take time to stop and smell the flowers. Or in this case stop and rip the paper. I don't know if it's just me but whenever I am around a baby I seem to go back in age by about 10 years. Everything around me seems to stop and I notice everything in a different light. I mean when you hang out with a baby you have to find something for them that is entertaining to do. Something as simple as peek-a-boo, or the pick-up game where they find and object and continually drop it everytime you pick it up and hand it back to them entertains that child for hours on end. Although this seems like such tedious and repetative task for you, too that child it is entertainment. I don't know if I am the only one but that simple game of peek-a-boo and seeing that baby's face light up with laughter instantly makes me smile. I don't care if what I am doing makes me look like the biggest idiot in the world (and I'm sure when I play with a baby it does) but it is all about making that child happy. And perhaps playing with that child for even a few minutes helps you as well.
I personally think that everyone should spend time with a child at least a few times a month. There is something about playing with a baby or even a 5-year-old that makes you feel like a kid again yourself. Being around someone who still believes in fairytales and still has a wild and vivid imagination that creates a new imaginary friend everyday that brings you back to your childhood years and helps you relax and forget the crazy and hectic world around you. This is just my opinion, but for those of you who have had a child or have a younger sibiling or whatever, take time to spend with them. Take that time to laugh with them and be silly. Before you know it they will be all grown up and that same game of peek-a-boo won't have the same effect on them.
So take time to stop and rip the paper, smell the roses. Take time to stop and...Laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4abiHdQpc
Here's hoping you get a little laughter into your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment